The Queen: Michelle

The Queen: Michelle
I am 28 years old. Still a princess but the queen of my family. Spoiled beyond belief. Lucky and truely blessed. A lover. A crafter. A mother. A wife. A friend. This is me.

My King: Junior

My King: Junior
The LOVE of my life! He completes me and balances me out in every way. He's a workaholic. He's loud, blunt, and crazy. He drinks Monsters like his life depends on it. Above all he is the greatest Daddy I could ever ask for, for my children. And he treats me like his Queen (and he calls me that too).

The Model Child: Diego Ray

The Model Child: Diego Ray
9 years old. My only boy. He is the epitome of the perfect child. He is so responsible and independent. Wise beyond his years. He is laughter, he is love, he is compassion, he is simply amazing. He keeps me grounded and reminds me always that I am beautiful. He is a natural born leader and takes care of the household and family better than me!

The Diva: Alayna Danae

The Diva: Alayna Danae
7 years old. She is drama. My fashionista for sure with a style all her own. Sensitive and loving when she wants to be. Thumbsucker. My biggest headache because she is the most like me. She is the only one who can cause me to become uncontrollably angry. She loves to dance. She loves to model. My bookworm and most academic.

The Wild Child: Arielle Marie-Grace

The Wild Child: Arielle Marie-Grace
4 years old. This one is something else. She is pure comedy. Never a dull moment with her crazy antics. She is also the crybaby. She does things her own way. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to be cute to get it. My Disney loving pal. So girly. Her favorite color is pink. Loves Rapunzel. Will wear a dress every single day. Can't leave the house without a bow in her hair. She refuses.

The Munchkin: Atalie Belle

The Munchkin: Atalie Belle
2 years old. My sweet baby. She loves her Mommy above all else. She is a cuddlebug for sure. The calmest most well behaved baby ever! But she has TONS of energy. She is so small and petite. She loves to sing and dance. She so SO ready for ballet and has yet to even step foot in a class. She loves Minnie Mouse and watching Disney Jr. She is hilarious and talks way too much.
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Diego & The School Bus Adventure

On Monday I decided to have Diego start riding the school bus to and from school from now on. So I got him all set up and yesterday was his first day to ride it.

Now Jr was quite surprised by my decision. He knows I didn't really want him riding the bus until he was older. Why do you ask? Well it's my own personal selfishness and overprotectiveness as a mother. If I take him and pick him up then I, and only I, have control of him getting to and from school safely. But with the bus, I have to just drop him off and put my trust into someone else to get my baby to school safe. But with our hectic schedules now it's just a much easier decision.

So Monday when he got home I prepped him with all the info he needed and tried to pound it into his brain like a crazy woman. I was so nervous that he'd get confused or something. And being that in all my years in school I never took the school bus so I couldn't even explain to him what the experience was like. So I started by making sure he knew his bus number. One of my fears would be that he'd get on the wrong bus after school. Then I made sure he knew that he needed to remember to get in the bus lines after school instead of getting in the parent pick-up line. Another thing I worried about of course... I hoped that he wouldn't be so used to routine and forget to even make his way towards the bus after school. This feeling of not having control and not being able to guide him and make sure he was comfortable, safe, and not confused was getting to me... but I couldn't show it because Diego is the type of child who picks up those signs and easily starts feeling the same feelings. And so far as I could see, he was totally confident that he could do it. And although I don't doubt his abilities at all... he's my smart child... I was worried that being that he's just six, he may just forget something and then I'd have a problem.

So Tuesday morning we wake up, get ready and walk to the bus stop 5 minutes before the bus was supposed to be there. As we're walking I am telling Diego, "Don't forget that once you get to school go straight to the cafeteria and eat your breakfast". Of course he just rolls his eyes at me, or might as well have, when he said for the millionth time, "I know Mom." Then before I even had time to react the bus had arrived, he kissed me, and ran to get on. And I was left standing there as the bus drove off feeling like, "this was it?" "I didn't even have time to take a picture!!!" And a million things were running through my head as I walked back towards the house.

Will he be intimidated by how many kids are on the bus, how loud it gets, how rowdy it gets?

Will they make many more stops and then he not get to school with enough time to eat his breakfast? Oh I must make sure he eats a little something at home then tomorrow JUST in case.

Will he even remember to go and get breakfast since he has to pass the playground on his way and may just see his friends... and then try to hang out and play?

But of course I knew deep down he'd be okay... so I went about my day.

Once it was time to pick him up from the bus stop after school... I started making my walk and I was talking to Jr on my cell phone. He was laughing at me because I was a bundle of nerves. All I could think in my head was, "Please please please get off the bus..." I told Jr my worst fear of all was that the bus would stop and he wouldn't get off with all the other kids. Would he know which stop was his? Would the bus driver remember to tell him? Do bus drivers have a special code or something so that the kids know what stop is theirs? Seriously at that point, standing there waiting, all I could wish was that Jr was standing in my place. He'd know how to deal with it all. Me on the other hand, I was sitting there shaking, hoping that I wouldn't have to live out the worst case scenario in my head.

Then I heard the bus.

I jumped up to my feet since I was sitting down on the curb. (Hey if I didn't sit I think I would have passed out from nerves)

And then the bus turned the corner...

I tried hard to make out some faces that were staring out the windows from the side I could see...

When all of a sudden...

I faintly made out the shiloutte of a little boy with fluffy hair, somewhat big ears sticking out, a smile, and a little hand waving at me... and then that silouette jumped out of it's seat and started heading towards the door.

And in that moment all the blood rushed back to my face and I let out a HUGE sigh as I walked to meet him at the door.

As I approached I snapped a picture with my cell phone.


And the first thing out of his mouth was, "I did it Mommy!"

I cannot say how proud and relieved I was of this boy. And although I knew he was fully capable of this, and I never underestimated his ability to figure it out and ask for help when needed (Diego has always been very independent)... I was just afraid of all the what ifs. And only I had planted those in my head. But I couldn't help but worry about my baby. It's hard letting go of your oldest, as I am sure it will only get harder with my girls. But Diego more than anyone likes his independence, he likes to challenge himself because he likes the feeling he gets from accomplishing something big... having us be proud of him.

And I am proud. It may not be nothing huge. Millions of kids in America ride the school bus. But for Diego this is huge and for me this is even bigger. Letting go is hard. But Mr. Diego is more than ready. Even if I am not.

Side Note: Today was his 2nd day on the bus and he was perfectly fine again. Yesterday on our walk back home I asked him how was his experience on the bus he said, "It was okay but I didn't like some parts." And of course I wanted to know what. And he said, "Well in the morning all the kids push and shove and they get sort of unruly!" (Bwahaha! What six year old uses 'unruly'? So today when he jumped off the bus, before I could even get a word out, he said, "I CANNOT believe it Mom! I CANNOT believe it! The bus doesn't even have seat belts!" Which of course made me laugh hysterically. And I said to him, "No sweetie, unfortunately no school buses have seat belts..." And he says, "That's so stupid Mom. I know I am not supposed to say stupid but it really is. I told my bus driver... My Mom never lets me get in a car without my sealt belt!"

It was so funny! He was seriously was so worried that I'd be mad that he wasn't wearing a seat belt. So much so that he felt inclined to tell me he sat there without one the whole ride. Haha!

Yup he'll be the kids who does something bad and then run and confess before anyone finds out.

Ahh my boy...

3 comments:

Jose said...

He'll be the one going with his petition to the legislation and lobby to put seat belts in every school bus in the nation. Knowing Diego he's probably win too.

Ariana Sullivan said...

I love the way you told this story... made it really fun to read.
I could feel your nerves through it and I have to admit I'd be the same way. I'm overprotective, as well.

I love the picture of him you snapped, I swear you can tell in his body language that he feels proud of himself. He's getting so big, isn't he! :)

Chely said...

Diego is one smart kid! I have always wondered why there are no seat belts on school buses or regular buses, for that matter? I too think that it is stupid for school buses not to have seat bealts. What's the logic begind that? Do you know?

Diego is sooooo correct! Please tell him that I will be one of the firts to sign his petition, if he choses to start one.

Besitos,

Tia Chely